Charlotte NC Import Administrator
John S. James Co. was founded in 1941 in the city of Savannah, Georgia. Our mission of offering personalized service to the international transportation community quickly established our firm as a leader in the international freight forwarding and customs brokerage industries. Our founder’s initial vision, to provide unparalleled service to our customers, still resonates in our culture today. Our reputation for excellence is a direct result of our commitment to service and professionalism.
We are pleased to offer an attractive benefits package for all our valued team members, which includes comprehensive insurance (including health, dental, vision, and life), 401(k), and a progressive paid time-off plan.
The successful candidate will be responsible for handling the end-to-end importation of international shipments, as well as export and freight forwarding tasks as directed by the Charlotte Office Manager. This position is not clerical. The Import Administrator will take ownership of client accounts, ensure work is completed on a daily basis, and be accountable for the compliance and accuracy of transactions under his/her responsibility.
The Responsibilities and Tasks
- Process customs entries end-to-end with careful attention to detail, ensuring adherence to any relevant governmental regulations (partner government agencies, tariffs, license requirements, etc.)
- Conduct supplementary activities to the clearance process, such as coordinating the delivery of cargo, arranging inspections. The candidate should have experience working with airlines, piers, container freight stations, etc.
- Maintain paperwork according to document retention procedures and create detailed and complete notes as required for entry files
- Keep customer apprised of shipment status and issues in a professional and helpful manner
- Create price quotations for customers for various services
- Responsible for timely invoicing of customer charges and verifying accounting information
- Assist Accounting in invoice collection
- Engage in continuous education opportunities provided by John S. James Co., including off-site seminars, webinars, or industry events
- Other tasks as directed by the Office Manager and Import Department
- Postsecondary education (Associate’s degree or higher), preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience in customs brokerage and import/export operations, including freight forwarding, preferred.
- Customs Broker License or Certified Customs Specialist accreditation a plus
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong computer literacy (including MS Office and entry filing software)
- Attention to detail
- Regular and predictable attendance