Foreign-Trade Zone Customs Operation Manager
John S. James Co. was founded in 1941 in the city of Savannah, Georgia. Our mission of offering personalized service to the international transportation community quickly established our firm as a leader in the international freight forwarding and customs brokerage industries. Our founder’s initial vision, to provide unparalleled service to our customers, still resonates in our culture today. Our reputation for excellence is a direct result of our commitment to service and professionalism.
We are pleased to offer an attractive benefits package for all of our valued team members, which includes comprehensive insurance (including health, dental, vision, and life), 401(k), flex time (according to business needs), and a progressive paid time-off plan.
The FTZ & Customs Manager position will oversee a team of ten and will report directly to corporate directors and client. The selected candidate will be responsible for FTZ and customs clearance operations for a major automotive manufacturing client.
The Responsibilities and Tasks
- Process documentation required for foreign trade zone operations and customs clearance in accordance with Customs regulations, with careful attention to detail
- Ensure adherence to any relevant governmental regulations (partner government agencies, tariffs, license requirements, etc.)
- Assist in researching zone inventory balance discrepancies as necessary
- Maintain paperwork according to document retention procedures and create detailed and complete notes as required for recordkeeping purposes
- Keep customers apprised of admission and entry statuses and issues in a professional and helpful manner
- Assist the FTZ Specialist and Director of FTZ Services with special projects, as needed.
- Ensure any and all issues with accounts and transactions are resolved timely
- Audit files in coordination with other members of the FTZ Services department
- Engage in continuous education opportunities provided by John S. James Co., including off-site seminars, webinars, or industry events
- Other tasks as directed by the Director of Foreign-Trade Zone Services
- Support any post entry projects, including information-gathering for responses to CF28/29s
- Track monthly KPI’s and report to client
- Act as operational focal point and provide ad-hoc advice to cross-functional peers
Qualifications & Skills Required
- Customs Broker License
- Bachelor’s Degree desired or equivalent education combined with practical experience in the field of import and foreign-trade zones.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in customs brokerage and foreign-trade zone operations
- Strong knowledge of HTSUS classifications
- Full COVID-19 vaccination required
- Certified Customs Specialist accreditation
- Must possess intermediate to advanced level proficiency (including MS Office and FTZ entry/admission filing software)
- Experience in imports related to automotive or similar manufacturing industries
- Experience in an audit role
- Highly developed organizational and communications skills
- This role requires strong inter-personal attributes including strong ethical standards coupled with an understanding of the business implications of operational decisions