Atlanta Georgia - Office Manager
John S. James Co. was founded in 1941 in the city of Savannah, Georgia. Our mission of offering personalized service to the international transportation community quickly established our firm as a leader in the international freight forwarding and customs brokerage industries. Our founder’s initial vision, to provide unparalleled service to our customers, still resonates in our culture today. Our reputation for excellence is a direct result of our commitment to service and professionalism.
We are pleased to offer an attractive benefits package for all of our valued team members, which includes comprehensive insurance (including health, dental, vision, and life), 401(k), and a progressive paid time-off plan.
The successful candidate will be responsible for responsible for operating the office as effectively and efficiently as possible.
The Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the office; ensuring staff have the resources necessary to perform their job function.
- Research regulations, read, comprehend, and apply those rules to ensure compliance.
- Recognize discrepancies in documentation, determine the reason and correct, if necessary.
- Ensure all work is accurate by re-verification prior to submission.
- Ensure employees correspond with clients in a professional and concise manner using conventional business grammar in emails.
- Ensure personnel receive the proper training in order to maximize productivity.
- Ensure all customers are serviced in a professional manner.
- Attend or be informed of all meetings held with or regarding customers and ensure appropriate personnel are involved or informed of the outcome.
- Ensure John S. James Co. complies with all governmental rules and regulations regarding our FMC and CHB license.
- Maintain cooperation and understanding by becoming a central point of organization among managers.
- Maintain knowledge by reading various publications regarding the transportation industry and update departments when necessary.
- Represent the John S. James Co. by attending the Broker’s Association meetings and/or any other transportation related associations, deemed necessary.
- Ensure the computer is utilized to its fullest extent in order to expedite services to customers.
- Keep up with inventory of general office supplies, equipment, maintenance and approval of all expenses.
- Work closely with peers and communicate events on a regular basis.
- Be available for travel for visiting accounts, potential customers, educational seminars/meetings and other offices.
- Approve and assist in the quality and content of all JSJ account correspondence.
- Oversee collections and keep accounts receivable to a minimum (whether collections are handled in the office or by accounting).
- Ensure the company’s receivable, advance, and collection policies are enforced.
- Review accounts payable for discrepancies when reports are provided by accounting.
- Review the liquidation report on a weekly basis or ensure the import manager has done so.
- Assist Department Managers in the handling of personnel problems.
- Be involved with the hiring and firing of employees and sit in on all interviews, evaluations and counseling sessions.
- Be knowledgeable in all aspects of company policies and benefits.
- Oversee the evaluation process of that office.
- Ensure all regulations and policies are met regarding the hiring, counseling and firing of personnel.
- Review P & L’s for the office.
- Reviews salary levels of staff members to ensure non-discrimination.
- Work with sales to increase accounts and grow the office.
- Report on office profits and what has been done to increase business.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential part of this position.
- Education /Experience: High School graduate or equivalent
- Proven Management Skills
- Licensed Customs broker
- Proven ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing