FTZ Customs and Logistics Analyst Atlanta Georgia
John S. James Co. was founded in 1941 in the city of Savannah, Georgia. Our mission of offering personalized service to the international transportation community quickly established our firm as a leader in the international freight forwarding and customs brokerage industries. Our founder’s initial vision, to provide unparalleled service to our customers, still resonates in our culture today. Our reputation for excellence is a direct result of our commitment to service and professionalism.
We are pleased to offer an attractive benefits package for all of our valued team members, which includes comprehensive insurance (including health, dental, vision, and life), 401(k), and a progressive paid time-off plan.
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting our external contacts and US customs team, ensuring all vehicles and parts imported/exported in compliance with all applicable US Customs laws and regulations. Responsible for ensuring all Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) on external properties are maintaining all necessary requirements for the FTZ designation in order to protect the designation of FTZ at external properties/facilities.
The Responsibilities and Tasks
- Liaise on inbound sea and airfreight logistics to the United States. Process invoices related to ocean shipments & port fees. In addition, check and validate invoices for payment.
- Work with and assist other customs team members to ensure vehicles and parts enter the US in a correct & timely manner and all documentation is accurate and fully in compliance with customs rules and regulations.
- Analyze shipping data regarding potential issues with shipments (delays, insufficient space on ships) for both domestic and export.
- Create and manage shipping schedule to ensure all stakeholders are kept informed of shipping schedule changes, amendments or any issues regarding timeline challenges that may arise.
- Main contact with ship lines to discuss space capacity, schedule changes on a regular basis and provide such concerns to be addressed accordingly.
- Analyze, validate and facilitate payments to local ports for terminal processing, port handling fees, wharfage fees and storage fees where applicable.
- Source & sort data for the monthly vehicle logistics metrics and performance repots.
- Support the creation and distribution of weekly and monthly reports with accurate data from various sources.
- Liaise with stakeholders on necessary custom/logistic related communications to freight forwarders. Keep a central database of communications published & important feedback from carrier partners.
- Work with team on the integration process of SWT with the carriers and help transition the move to the new system for import procedural efficiency enhancement.
- Work with team on reporting dynamics required from both a carrier and a VPC point of view.
- Review and determine classification of vehicles and parts import and export based on the principal and guidelines of US Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS). Evaluate tariff classifications in the daily parts import report, editing or adding tariffs codes to the HTS system and assign to forwarder/broker as per requests
- Assist with external Customs Compliance, Import and Export Statistics report by compiling all necessary data to ensure maintains customs compliance per applicable law and guidelines
- Assist with special vehicle shipments: Consult with stakeholders and carriers (air and sea), to ensure smooth import and export of special shipments
- Evaluate invoices for third-party import and export services and payments process
- Monitor duty payment through ACH. Generate report and record keeping and reconciliation.
- Provide the necessary assistance, reporting relative to FTZ classification at external facilities and properties.
- Process documentation required for foreign trade zone operations and customs clearance in accordance with Customs regulations, with careful attention to detail.
- Ensure adherence to any relevant governmental regulations (partner government agencies, tariffs, license requirements, etc.)
- Assist in researching zone inventory balance discrepancies as necessary.
- Maintain paperwork according to document retention procedures and create detailed and complete notes as required for recordkeeping purposes.
- Keep customers apprised of admission and entry statuses and issues in a professional and helpful manner.
- Assist the FTZ Specialist and Director of FTZ Services with special projects, as needed.
- Ensure any and all issues with accounts and transactions are resolved timely
- Audit files in coordination with other members of the FTZ Services department
- Engage in continuous education opportunities provided by John S. James Co., including off-site seminars, webinars, or industry events
- Other tasks as directed by the Director of Foreign-Trade Zone Services
Bachelor’s Degree (accredited school) or equivalent work experience with emphasis in:
- Business Administration
- Business Management
- Technical Management-Logistics
- Proficient in PC applications i.e. excel spreadsheets, word processing, graphics software & databases
- Analytical and numerate
- Skilled in working with business reports and KPI’s with the ability to track and analyze business performance and identify opportunities for improvement
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills