John S. James Co. was founded in 1941 in the city of Savannah, Georgia. Our mission of offering personalized service to the international transportation community quickly established our firm as a leader in the international freight forwarding and customs brokerage industries. Our founder’s initial vision, to provide unparalleled service to our customers, still resonates in our culture today. Our reputation for excellence is a direct result of our commitment to service and professionalism.
We are pleased to offer an attractive benefits package for all of our valued team members, which includes comprehensive insurance (including health, dental, vision, and life), 401(k), and a progressive paid time-off plan.
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing company accounting operations; financial statement preparation, including income statements, balance sheets and monthly P&L’s; processing payroll; ensuring the company is compliant with legal and ethical business practices.
The Responsibilities and Tasks
- Establish and implement processes and procedures to streamline all accounting processes in accordance with GAAP.
- Maintain a smooth running of the business from a financial perspective, implementing strategies and controls to keep the business in good fiscal health.
- Prepare the company’s financial reports.
- Take part in the budgeting process.
- Create and key Journal Entries and other relevant tasks.
- Manage and evaluate the company’s accounting employees.
- Direct the company’s financial transactions.
- Provide financial training to employees when needed.
- Process Payroll and related tasks.
- Report to corporate management on a regular basis.
- Monitor financial institution activity, maintaining relationships with all relevant parties.
- Educate oneself to keep abreast of all relevant accounting/tax laws & regulations, interpreting and applying new policies where necessary.
- Oversee Collections activity.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer, as requested.
- Monitor employee attendance, approve PTO, and apply company policy where needed.
- Regular and predictable attendance on-site is an essential part of this position. Some remote work will be available.
- Continuing education on relevant laws, regulations and concepts.
- Four-year college degree in business, accounting or finance with minimum 3 years’ experience managing accounting operations; or seven years’ accounting management experience.
- Knowledge of best practices for AR & AP.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a working knowledge of business and accounting concepts (GAAP).
- Proven leadership ability with experience in management.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Experience with spreadsheets and financial analysis.
- Knowledge of regulatory and other financial standards and requirements.
- Understanding of taxation, payroll and other fiscal aspects of a business environment.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.